Last Sunday even I became aware of the ongoing war. During prayer at church. Well, it came as a rather rude shock. A war? Without me hearing of it? Me, who used to be considered as a quiz buff or whatever else you call someone who religiously attends every quiz around.
Well thinking of it, these days my reading of the paper never went beyond the sports page, and mind you, I start from the back. So, hurt, with that stupid feeling that rants in the head saying you didn’t even know about the most read thing in the papers (of course, Zidane’s head war is now a thing of the past), I decided to get as wise as I could about the war.
And I must say, this was the best week to start on such an endeavour. OK, accept it, any week in which Mr. Bush gets the attention of the world press is a funny week. But this time he had a lot of us starters confused. (more confused than him?) For now, what the papers chastely called as the “four letter word” did not essentially have to begin with ‘f’. Well, that’s an achievement, even for the president of the US. And he didn’t stop there. The next day, he was found rubbing the shoulders of the only female who was invited to his meeting. My, what a week for the press. So, with the comic effects from Jay Leno and the analysis from the most respected political authors today, I learn that Bush is not only a war monger (a dumb one, at that), a stubbornist, pretending he is saving the world in (not even from) the 3rd world war as well as a rewriter of history. He has them Americans believe they were justified in Iraq on the evidence of two 1980’s chemical trucks found recently.
Back home there was even more confusion over the sanity of having a nuclear deal with the hegemony of armaments, now that the US senate has approved of the deal. After all they wouldn’t say yes unless the dice were heavily loaded in favour of them. Hey, when are our politicians going to start thinking on their own two feet? Why doesn’t our parliament take pains to dissect every clause and find out its implications for itself? Of course, they wouldn’t get time to walk out, but still. Arundhati Roy was conspicuous by her silence. After all, she didn’t want India to have weapons in the first place. And I, totally ignorant of the intricacies of reactors and how they lead to bombs, refrained from taking sides.
But I must remind you that some time ago, in 1991, they put a man in the dock accused of selling everything India to the world. But now, they’ve made him Prime Minister.
In diplomacy, I guess, its difficult to make decisions that make sense
No comments:
Post a Comment