27 August, 2007

Writer unblocked

A few days ago Devanshi was talking about the writers block. Well, if it actually means what I think it means, she was talking about what all a faithfull blogger can do when he/she stops having the inspiration to write, or something in that line. Anyways, among the options she came up with (some of them, as bizarre as talking about the weather - man, you do that, and you're banished from my blogosphere for life, period) the only one that actually appealed to me was do nothing. And believe it or not, the lady herself seemed to take quite well to the suggestion. But tongue in cheek, the next day she comes out with a new post with an excellent theme !
Now, for someone like me, who is superstitious in a bizarre way, but also understands the concept of probability, it logically follows that whenever you find yourself short of inspiration, you just need to rant about the lack of inspiration, and touchwood, bang come the ideas the very next day!
Or maybe, I thought. ill atleast try to convince the few people who actually manage to reach this space that it isnt because of lack of effort that it seems forever since I last posted. To be frank, Iv started on 3 posts in the last two weeks. (phew!) One about Hutch having changed my price plan without informing me, again. (Oh well, btw thats a long story. last month they did it the first time and I almost took them to court before their chief accountant rang me up and admitted her mistake. And she was pleading so badly that I decided I wouldnt even press for damages - in terms of time and effort wasted digging through TRAI regulations and running from Hutch pillar to Hutch post ( I even felt a lot of our Govt offices give more customer satisfaction than a private telecom operator) - Anyway this time they had timed the change in priceing of sms's for the whole of Chennai to coincide with the day of my having completed six months of being a Hutch customer, so now they could fool around with me, and not give a damn!)
Then I thought, i think it was last sunday, of telling you of my secret so-called fears. Oh yeah, I was really depressed by the time I reached half way, with stuff like the fear that I would forever go on being lazy and lousy, sleep on unmade beds, with the lights on, littered with 2 day old newspapers, and sometimes even the clothes I wore to to office that day, or that I would never become India's answer to Warren Buffet combined with Peter Lynch (Well to save you from worrying your head off on that, they were two of the most successfull investors ever) or Siddarth Basu, Prannoy Roy and Rajdeep Sardesai combined. Tell you what, I got all worked up and started coming up with weird worries like going bald by the time I become 25, that i decided to stop right there! The third post i started on, i actually dont even remember what it was about, though it wasnt worth being on my blog anyway. For leads, it was an answer to a tag i really didn feel like answering
Anyway, today, when work became a little boring, I got hooked on to another blog from an unlikely source. Dmitry Tursunov, a not so famed tennis player, with a famed tennis blog. Somehow I get the feeling that he should be likened to the WTA players. The players that get huge followings for reasons completely unconnected to their game. Like lets say, the length of their skirts! anyway this guy used to have a really cool blog. He starts a post by saying that he wasnt feeling like writing anything interesting today, and goes on to keep you struggling to hold on to your seats. And he very freely picks on all his fellow players, which of course is great reading for our controversy scouting minds!
Well, reading that, like reading anything creative these days, gave me the really pinching feeling that I could write something that is damn funny even when i really dont have a special topic with a four syllable heading and three pages of long and winding prose! But then again, when i sit down to actually do it, Hermione Granger's (yo right, the Harry potter gal who knows just about anything) words keep echoing in my head. You cant make something out of nothing, even with magic. By the way she called it the law of some over-complicated word that even I cant remember.
So now, my only hope is the writers block unblocked, and that ill come up with some breakthrough ideas in tonights dream and tomorrow you'll have the blogpost of your life!

5 comments:

D said...

Devanshi, not Devanshu.

D said...

And hey, I totally agree: it's amazing how soon a writer's block gets unblocked when you've ranted about it. Best of luck to you!

Saija said...

good morning!

i hope you get this info in time for the bible study ... the version used for the quote was, New International Version, UK ...

blessings on your weekend!

amna said...

writer's block - that too shall pass :)

Ab said...

#D
1. Iv made th correction
2. The Block seems to be unblocked, but my time seems to be blocked. By the time, time, smiles on me again, writer would have caught would have caught cobwebs again!

#Nags
HOPE HOPE HOPE... If it were not for hope. How would my life push on!

#Saijja
like I told you, thanks a ton!