20 September, 2008

Tagged to the Rescue

Starved for ideas, who wouldnt take up the offer of a tag? Well, for the few of you who still dont know, Im under net-arrest, meaning, Im not allowed to use the net because Im supposed to be studying for a great big exam, and I cant afford to be distracted. Atleast mom thinks so, and while Im at home, rules go! So that leaves me with the precious few hours I get on saturday. So there goes the answers to a few tags. One by D and another from VJ

Of course, that leaves me with no time to read all your posts and all. But then, you'll understand, havent I been the best of blog buddies while I could? anyways... read on.


    If your lover betrayed you, what will your reaction be?
    HURT. I really don’t know if Ill be angry.

(I do sometimes wonder whether Ill be the one who cheats. I hope I don’t. Im not sure if adultery’s not ok. But Im sure that its NOT FAIR!)

    If you can have a dream come true, what would it be?
    Be known as India’s most trusted man. I mean, seriously :D

    Whose butt would you like to kick?
    On second thoughts, I would kick the chairman of the CA institute, as a representation of what I think of the whole lot of them.

    What would do with a billion dollars?
    Gosh. Maybe Ill write to Forbes. Just in case they didn’t hear of it. But seriously I don’t want a billion dollars. I need to build a house because mom insists it is necessary. I need to have enough to raise a pair of children if ever I have them without making them feel depraved. And I need a little to travel the world for the rest of my life. Does that call for a billion dollars?

But yeah, a worthwhile idea would be to buy off a good newspaper or a TV channel. Apart from the fact that it would solve my employment woes (:-D) it would also give some competition for Rupert Murdoch before he finally k icks the bucket! (Y ou know, I still harbour dreams of some media baron taking a liking to me and offering me 25% of his company, only to die without a heir, and Ill buy off the other 75% too – Like in ‘Kane and Abel’)

    Will you fall in love with your best friend?
    I would fall in love only with my best friend. I don’t know, I cant think of any relationship that isn’t intimate to the absolute.

    Which is more blessed: loving someone or being loved by someone?
    I guess its being loved. It gives you a reason to be around.

    How long do you intend to wait for someone you love?
    To quote Mark Twain, Id wait for her for half my life, if I can meet her before the other half. But of course, do tell me if you know any shortcuts.

    If the person you secretly like is attached, what will you do?
    Oh well, a few weeks ago, I did something, and suffice it to say that I characteristically messed it up. So, Im back to ‘The hardest thing Iv ever done, is keep believing, there’s someone in this crazy world for me’ and ‘I know I need to be in love’. God bless the Carpenters!

    If you could root for one social cause, what would it be?
    Domestic Violence. Ill treatment of women. But I wouldn’t call it women’s rights!

    What takes you down the fastest?
    Insensitivity to others. And people who'r so full of themselves already.

    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
    A successful journalist, career wise. And happy, life-wise.

    What’s your fear?
    Living long – that is, long enough without being able to eat the things that I can today. Everything sweet, spicy and oily!

    What kind of person do you think the person who tagged you is?

Well, Ill say this. She’s in the best love story Iv actually come across in real life. And thats saying something, methinks!


14. Would you rather be single and rich or married and poor?
You got me there! But no, I wouldn wanna be poor, whatever be the sacrifice.

15. If you fall in love with two people simultaneously who will you pick?
The person with whom I can be myself, and the person who wouldn’t have to

change for me. The person who I enjoy spending time with!

16. Would you give all in a relationship?
Yes. Period. And I wouldn’t get into any relationship where all isn’t required.

17. Would you forgive and forget someone no matter how horrible a thing he has

done?
Well, actually yes. maybe Im not being manly. But actually, I find it quite easy to get over an incident, if I

see the remorse and the sorry’s. I mean, I melt quite easily.


18. Do you prefer being single or in a relationship?
After hearing that D prefers being single, Im having second thoughts, but yeah, as

of now, relationship!

And then this. I wrote this a week ago, but couldn’t get around to posting!

My oldest memory :

Well, its funny, but my earliest memories wouldn’t really be about me. It would be something like watching Anil Kumble screw the famed West Indian opposition with 6 wickets at the Eden Gardens (which, I was watching while everyone else was celebrating a friends birthday in the next room). Or reading in the papers that Kapil Dev was the highest wicket–taker in the world. I remember that the previous day I had argued with a friend that he wasn’t – Because I hadn’t read that in the papers. (I think that hasn’t changed over 14 years. Ignorance combined with too much of arrogance to match intelligence!)

Another memory catches me. This same friend and I had once hatched a plan to write a song. My dad had assured me that it was pretty easy. And we reasoned why not! So, at the appointed time we both sat down with our tools – pen, paper and, of all things, a dictionary. Well, suffice it to say that that was my earliest memory of a writers block. We gave it up as a bad job some 15 minutes into trying. That might have been the first among many incidents that took away from my admiration for my dad (which is at its nadir right now)

Thinking it over, I remember squinting at bus #123 in Bangalore (that’s when my parents noticed maybe I had a problem with my sight – I was eight then)

I remember envying my school chums who could buy ice creams from the roadside vendors, something that my parents insisted were too unhygienic)

I remember being at a friends birthday party in which I could choose from the wrapped gifts. I so wanted a miniature bow and arrow that a lot of other guys wanted, but all that turned up was a Cadbury bar.

I remember watching a football match at this friends place. Lazio Vs Ajax. I now remember that it was he who was so gaga about AC Milan, but since then, there’s a bond between me and the club!

Gosh, I remember Yoko Zuna lock up the Undertaker in his own coffin.

Need I go on?

10 years ago:

Feeling too important for my shoes! Sulking after yet another fight with mom. Sulking after being told by my uncles that boys would many more things than curl up in bed with a Hardy boys on a holiday. Sulking over the fact that not one girl really would talk to me for more than a couple of sentences and that the guys only made fun of me. Sulking after being told by mom that I wasn’t allowed to play, because my marks weren’t good enough (less than 60% in 8th standard, fyi. We still joke about those days) and aaah, feeling relieved after using yet another lecture to do something useful – like, read that novel or take a nap!


My first thought today morning :

Yippee, finally todays internet day again! Oh by the way I should have slept a little more. To see what happened after I ended up at the dentist clinic to undergo some tests to my brain! Gosh… btw, any of you guys can read dreams, by any chance? In case you could, I can clarify that the concerned doctor is actually a urologist, and that for some crazy reason I was chewing strips of cinnamon in his room, and he made me spit it out, which was when mom decided I had overslept enough!

My time capsule would contain :

Haha. I guess the answer will have to be some motivational speeches I seem to be fond of making to myself when noone’s around. And some really really interesting though twisted, philosophies on life! Its bound to come out sometime.

This year :

Has been wonderful. Even its nastiness. Finally, Iv come of age in the School of Life. Learned to decide what’s best for me!

(Update: ah well, you know those games of ‘snake and ladder’ in which you crawl all the way up, only to be bitten by the longest snake to end up in square two? That’s where I am today. Hmmmph… come of age! Fat chance)

I think this would sum it up – The year the 23 year old boy turned into a 24 year old man! (of course, still untested by the fires that await men, but nevertheless!)

14 years from now :

Be happily married, or happily unmarried – Happy anyway! And well on my way to becoming India’s most trusted journalist, if not the best!!!!!

9 had something to say:

Fantasies of a Lifetime said...

yay u did the tag !! . .

U truly are cricket crazy , ur first memory was kumble ? lol

Loved the part on snake and ladder. . .he he!! On the bright side, you could at least call urself young :P

And good luck for the exams :D

D said...

#14: No, "my kinda person" does not suffice. You have to elaborate :)

Mojo Jojo said...

Hmm. I liked the relationship part of your tag - especially the one in which you talk about being required to be her best friend. But - just curious - how far do looks matter in your assessment of a partner?

Avaran said...

#VJ my pleasure... well, npot cricket crazy...jus sports crazy! i began reading th sports page since i was in th 3rd... and iv had a fixation for karnataka's sportspersons.. still do! i was born in Bng, u see!

#D
ill elaborate... remember that venus mars post you did? i told u i would be pretty much venus if i did that remember? and anyways, most of the stuff u write, i couldnt have written it much differently (th content, i mean)

Avaran said...

#jimmy, ill answer in a post, either tonight or next week, fine?

AB said...

Ahem, I am echoing them: 'Come of age! Fat chance':D

behindblueeyes said...

I love your sincerety and integrity.

Vidya said...

Sometimes, I think a harmless tag makes us think so much, right? I had fun reading your tag but I was wondering to myself what the hell would be my response to most of these questions?

Good job! ;)

Vidya

manisha said...

*admirations for the 9th point*:D

this was kinda ur auto bio graphy man!!! right from childhood...

when do thw twisted philos come out!:)

"And I wouldn’t get into any relationship where all isn’t required."- LOVED this!